Thursday 28 August 2008

it happened in Thessaloniki


I know i disappeared... but internet connection was limited in Turkey and also I had to focus on other things... 
anyway, before I proceed, I wanted to tell 2 funny things that happened in Thessaloniki that I forgot to tell you before... 

The first one is the place where i had lunch... the city was like a ghost town, as i said before and it was also hard to find a place to eat because everything was shut. So I walked past this little place (pictures above) and there were some old greek men eating there - and you know the rule: if there is senior locals eating at a place is because the food is good! There was also a tourist couple (very blonde!), so I figured they were tourist-friendly. I walked in, sat down and asked for the menu. 'No menu' the guy said not so sure of his English skills... then he asked 'meat?', to which I said 'yes'. After that his English was nule and in order to show me what they had he signalled for me to follow him to the kitchen and pointed at the food they had. hahaha it looked good, so i said it was ok. Looked like rice with meat, but in fact it was pasta. The meat was very good though! Anyway, they only have one main per day - a very big pot of it - and there's nothing else to choose from. very funny. i felt self concious to take pictures in such a place, as if their local was a tourist attraction... so i pretended i was just looking at the camera (that's why you can see the table edges). 

The other thing is: is my skirt that short??? I got evil looks from old greek people and an old Orthodox lady dressed in black even did the cross sign... and she kept talking to me in greek although it was clear I coulndt understand... I felt really self-concious. After that i put the skirt right at the bottom of the suitcase because that would be a definately no-no in Turkey! 



No comments: